Climate and Energy Policy Officer
WWF-Romania Climate and Energy Policy Expert (full-time, based in Bucharest)
Make a difference to today’s world. Join WWF.
WWF-Romania is seeking to recruit a dynamic and enthusiastic
The Climate and Energy (C&E) Policy Expert contributes to the WWF mission in general and to WWF´s objectives in Romania and Central and Eastern Europe in particular by implementing C&E project components and by engaging in policy advocacy and campaign efforts, as well as fundraising. The C&E Policy Expert also represents WWF-Romania on related issues within the WWF-CEE network and externally, in particular with the aim of developing partnerships and leading WWF-Romania C&E lobby and advocacy work.
Your duties will include:
A. Strategy and Work plan input and implementation
- Guide the development of strategic actions of WWF-Romania related to implementation of relevant C&E policy-advocacy work that contributes to achievement of the Paris agreement goals in a manner respecting planetary boundaries, in line with the WWF network (Regional, EU, International) approach
- Monitor and analyse drivers of and trends in the field of climate and energy policy and technology and identify investment opportunities for EU and economic recovery funds as input to advocacy strategies
- Contribute knowledge to strategies and initiatives of WWF-Central and Eastern Europe, of which WWF-Romania is part of.
B. Fundraising and project development
- Contribute to the identification of fundraising opportunities and development of funding proposals for public sector funding programmes, foundations and companies (transformational partnerships).
C. Project management and implementation
- Ensure proper and timely implementation of the C&E policy-advocacy components in two EUKI projects and other projects under preparation
- Identify the need for external expertise in the field of climate and energy and draft respective TOR
- Elaborate activity reports, as needed.
D. Advocacy, Partnership Development, and Networking
- Represent the organization in relevant forums such as conferences, symposiums, and government and community meetings to advocate for improved policy and decision making, communicate and promote our work
- Support the development of common policy and advocacy briefs, position papers, legal initiatives having a C&E component
- Advising role for the general director and national policy coordinator on C&E issues
- Work in close coordination with the WWF-Romania´s national policy coordinator and the policy team
- Support development and implementation of advocacy strategies, including engagement with governmental and private sector institutions
- Support partnership development with other relevant Civil Society Organisations and private investors
- Liaise with scientists and scientific institutions and networks for knowledge transfer and partnership development.
E. Capacity building and knowledge management
- Support WWF-Romania´s capacity building efforts on C&E issues by coaching and mentoring colleagues and contributing to the design of relevant training programmes and events.
- Analyse trends and opportunities in the field of C&E, including innovation, relevant for WWF’s mission and work and relay this information to relevant team members
- Engage with C&E colleagues of other WWF-CEE offices for knowledge exchange and peer-mentoring
- Supervise relevant volunteers such as master students.
- Work in close coordination with the WWF-Romania´s communication team
- Contribute to the development and implementation of integrated advocacy and information campaigns.
We expect from you:
- Adhere to the WWF mission, as well LIVES in line with the WWF CEE’s Behaviors: Innovate fearlessly, Collaborate Openly, Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply
- University degree in political economy, law, economics, energy, policy, engineering, geography, environmental studies or other field related to C&E
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of sustainability issues in Romania and its regional context
- Knowledge of relevant EU policies (EU Renewables Directive, EU Green Deal, Climate Law, new Industrial Strategy for Europe, EU Emission Trading System, The 2030 Climate and Energy framework, 2050 Long Term Strategy, etc)
At least 4 years relevant work experience
- Experience in engaging with diverse stakeholders such as government officials or the scientific community
- Experience in project management and proposal writing
- Experience in climate and energy policy analysis, advocacy and preferably also campaigning
- Experience in working within diverse teams in international working environment is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Ambition, energy and drive, with a commitment to making a difference
- Strategic thinking
- Excellent interpersonal and team playing abilities
- Ability to work in an international environment and within a multi-cultural team
- Good oral and written communications skills in Romanian and English
- Ability to collect, analyse and transmit complex, multi-disciplinary field information in an effective manner
- Ability for strategic planning and prioritization
- Stress Resilience
- Proficiency in MS Office
- The opportunity to make a difference – for Romania and for WWF
- Challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- Varying tasks and independent work style
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
If you are interested in joining the global WWF team, email your application documents including your CV and cover letter (in English) to [email protected]. Application deadline: 1st of October 2020. Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates. For more information on the WWF RO, kindly check the website: http://romania.panda.org/