Freshwater Policy Expert
WWF-Romania is seeking to recruit a dynamic and enthusiastic
Freshwater Policy Expert
[Full time position, based in Bucharest]
The Freshwater Policy Expert supports the efforts to protect and restore freshwater ecosystems and their services in Romania by advocating for the integration of freshwater ecosystems conservation, Nature based Solutions into water management policies and relevant connected sectors (e.g. agriculture, urban planning, etc).
The Freshwater Policy Expert contributes to WWF-Romania’s missions and objectives, through supporting WWF Romania Freshwater Manager in advocating for good governance at national level that will improve the integration of freshwater conservation principles and solutions into relevant policies and better implementation of existing legislation and regulations, especially regarding high impact sectors.
Your duties will include:
● Provide comprehensive analysis of national policies impacting the freshwater ecosystems (water management, agriculture, fishery & aquaculture, energy generation, Danube delta governance, navigation etc);
● Updating with social, political and economic context and developments and identify risks for negative impact on freshwater ecosystems (with focus on Danube delta and Lower Danube);
● Contribute to the development of the advocacy strategy for the freshwater policy objectives (targets) and the action/workplan for implementation, monitor/evaluate results;
● Develop adequate recommendations on policies and strategies, environment (legislative) procedures or draft laws amendments related to freshwater programme priorities;
● Contribute to WWF freshwater program planning, coordination, implementation and reporting with a view to promoting advocacy work of freshwater topics;
● Carry out consultations with relevant local and national stakeholders (with focus on Danube Delta and Lower Danube) for freshwater topics and provide advice;
● Engage, develop and maintain strategic relationships with key partners and networks, and represent WWF Romania (with focus on topics relevant for freshwater) in relevant groups, workshops, and policy events;
● Contribute to WWF Romania’s awareness raising, policy debates and discussions ensuring spreading the freshwater conservation measures into the relevant policies;
● Support implementation of specific freshwater project activities (including advocacy campaigns) through policy related work and expertise;
● Support fundraising activities/project development.
We expect from you:
- Adhere to the WWF mission, as well as LIVE in line with the WWF Values: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- BSc or MSc in Political Science, Natural sciences, Economy, Law, or some discipline relevant to freshwater-related policy work;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Romanian and EU policies and legislation, integrated planning procedures, and stakeholder involvement;
- Understanding of politics, socio-economics, and sustainable development issues in Romania;
- Project management and project development could be an advantage.
- A good level of written and spoken Romanian and English.
- 3 years in positions with similar responsibilities.
Skills and Abilities:
self-driven skills, coordination skills, self confidence, easily treats endeavors, experienced in working with/in different/difficult people/environment, good communication skills with ability to transmit key messages in order to be embraced by the audience, reliable teammate, team player; proven experience of writing position papers, background documents; strategic thinking
- The opportunity to make a difference – for Romania and for WWF
- Challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- Varying tasks and independent work style
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
If you are interested in joining the global WWF team, email your application documents including your CV and cover letter (in English) to [email protected]. Application deadline:.15.09.2022. Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates.